Friday 15 May 2015

A cyclist in a cooking environment!

Across the ally from the apartment I stay at in Switzerland is a small restaurant called ‘The Bärli’. Now Eric and I live on the second floor and from our balcony you can look straight into the kitchen where the famous Bärli Flammkuchen (sort of pizza with a crème fresh base) is being made.

Eric, who occasionally helps the restaurant out by washing up, managed to twist the manager’s arm in some way to get me into the kitchen Wednesday night to help them on this busy evening. 

Personally I love to cook and was thus extremely excited to have an evening to check out closely what was going on in the kitchen as I have been doing regularly from our balcony.

In the morning, while building bikes at the Fischer bike shop, I could hardly wait to strap on an apron and head over the Eisengasse into the kitchen. I got there at about six, while it was still empty, and Eric gave me the tour of how everything works and where to put away the clean dishes.

Slowly the restaurant started filling up and the orders were flying in. I came prepared to do dishes all night long, but in no time I was peeling ginger, cutting the Flammkuchen, covering the pizza base with crème fresh and sprinkling on the cheese and toppings. Suba, the lead chef that night, got me making Ice coffees and ringing the bell for the waiters to pick up the order. I was loving the
pressure and could feel the smile on my face appearing as Suba, Bala and I where rushing through the orders.

A mechanic in the morning, working with grease, dirt and tools, and a chef in the evening, handling food and completing orders. Maybe not the best combination, but I was in my element that evening and hope that it won’t be the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment